COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Update
(Updated as of 1.14.2021)
A Message to our Valued Patients from the Elmwood Health Center Team:
We currently do not have the COVID-19 vaccine. However, we expect to receive the COVID-19 Moderna Vaccine sometime in the coming weeks. If you are any of the following: frontline health care worker, work in a Long Term Care Facility, teacher and education worker, first responder, public safety and public transit worker, grocery worker or 65 years of age and older, you will be eligible to receive the vaccine.
If you are in this group and wish to receive the vaccine, please send a message through the patient portal or call the health center directly 716.874.4500 with the following information:
- You definitely want to receive the vaccine
- The priority group you fit into
- Are you able to make a Friday afternoon or Saturday morning visit on short notice - possibly as soon as the end of this week or the following week?
- Do you have transportation
Depending on the amount of vaccine available, we will then contact patients from this group to schedule vaccination appointments.
If you are not in this group, please do not call the health center about the COVID-19 vaccine. We will continue to update this website when additional groups are added by the NYS Department of Health (DOH).
Follow this link for up-to-date information on the NYS DOH priority groups from the New York State Department of Health.
Please keep in mind that our local hospitals are nearing or are at capacity in both the Emergency Rooms and patients admitted to the hospital. This means that if you go to a local emergency room you may come in close contact with someone who has COVID-19.
Our Staff and our Providers remind all patients that they should call our office first, before making the decision to go to the local Emergency Room, unless it is a real Emergency such as chest pains, trouble breathing and other life threatening situations. As always, we have a provider covering our phones 24/7 if you become ill or have a non-life threatening concern. Call the office at 716.874.4500 to be connected to the covering health care provider. Please call 911 for all life threatening emergencies.
If you are being tested for COVID-19, or you have received a positive test result, read the Erie County Commissioner of Health’s Standing Order and Packet of Information.
As the number of COVID cases in Western New York has increased in the last few weeks, we remind patients that video visits are available for many appointments. This allows you to remain at home, lower your contact with others, and skip the screening at the door, which is necessary for all persons entering the health center. If you have an appointment, call the health center at 716.874.4500 and ask if your appointment can be changed to a video visit. Please see the section below, "Office Visits from the Comfort of Your Own Home."
Since the beginning of the COVID-19 outbreak, our office has continued all recommended safety procedures to minimize the risk of infection and to ensure delivery of the highest quality of care possible. We continue to take every precaution to keep our patients, staff and by extension, our community, safe and healthy.
Your Elmwood Health Center caregiver and support staff are working extremely hard to stay on top of this rapidly changing pandemic. You can have confidence that when you come to your appointment, you will be safe and cared for by a team that is armed with the latest information to protect you.
Thank you for doing your part to keep yourself, your family, and our community safe and healthy. Thank you also for trusting the providers and staff at the Elmwood Health Center with your care.
For an in-office appointment, these safety measures are in place:
- If you have any symptoms of COVID-19 such as coughing, fever, shortness of breath, sniffles, runny nose, congestion, trouble breathing, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, diarrhea, or new loss of taste or smell, please DO NOT come the office. Call our COVID-19 hotline at 716.874.4500 first. Our team of providers will advise you how to proceed. We are not a COVID-19 test site.
- When you come to our office for a scheduled appointment, your temperature will be checked and you will be required to answer a few questions before you enter. This ensures that no one with COVID-19 symptoms is allowed inside. You can rest assured knowing that we are screening every person to make sure you are safe. Only if necessary, one person may accompany you, and that person will also be required to have their temperature checked, answer the same questions and have their contact information recorded.
- We ask for your patience during the screening process and that you maintain 6 feet of distance between you and others while waiting to be screened. Please read all signage and adhere to these policies, as well as any directions given by our providers and staff - this is for your health and safety, as well as that of our staff.
Office Visits from the comfort of your own home:
Video Visits are available with your provider for certain visit types.
To participate, all you will need is a computer or device with a camera (mobile phone, iPad, tablet, etc.). Simply call our office and we can get you scheduled. You can start your scheduled video visit by clicking here.
The Elmwood Health Center Patient Portal is an excellent way to stay connected remotely with your doctor. In addition to being able to access test results, request appointments, and manage prescription refills, you can send a NON URGENT message to your provider. You will also receive information on COVID-19, as well as other important medical news.
Especially when the number of cases in WNY is climbing, please follow ALL of the guidelines set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Important COVID-19 information may be found on the websites for CDC (Prevent getting sick and What to do if you are sick), Erie County and New York State. Containing the spread of this pandemic will require ALL of us to work together to practice social distancing and proper health, safety and hygiene habits.